Monday, October 3, 2011

Too warm to hunt?

A number of years ago when I headed out on the first day of the northern zone archery season I was already too warm. Wearing my lightest set of hunting clothes and fighting the urge to use bug spray, I climbed into my stand well before first light with temperatures in the high 60s.
My confidence took a hit from the fact that I bumped a few deer in the field on my way in, but I stuck with my plan. I could hear deer feeding on apples under a nearby tree and as visibility slowly increased I made out the ghostly form of a deer, about 30 yards away, making its way past my stand.
Thirty minutes later I could hear deer browsing in the hedgerow behind me and realized I was surrounded by deer that were just out of sight. I hit the grunt tube twice, softly. Seconds later a big doe burst through the hedgerow looking for me. Instinctively, the bow was drawn and the arrow was on its way. Later that morning I sweated profusely and swatted mosquitoes as I dragged the deer out of the woods.
Of all the weather elements that hunters deal with during deer season, warm weather may prove the most difficult to hunt in. It alters the white-tail's habits. With their winter coats in place, it limits their movements. Research shows that when the mercury climbs into the high 40s, deer movements decrease significantly. Therefore, hunters wanting to punch a tag must adapt. But how do you go about it?
The first solution is to stay the course and go hunting. However, I've been guilty of breaking this rule a few times. I once had a half-day off for an early season bow-hunt but opted instead to toss my boat on my truck and go out on the lake instead. There have been a few times over the years when warm weather in November has convinced me instead to do fall chores around the house.
But, you've got to be in the woods to get a deer. Right now it's early bow season and warm weather triggers nocturnal deer activity, such as my bumping those deer on my way to my stand. The mornings and evenings, which are the coolest parts of the day, are usually a hunter's best bet. If I were to take a midday stand, it would be near water and downwind from a known bedding area. However, most of my midday bowhunting activity involves still-hunting with my light recurve bow in hand.
Hunting water sources can be a good ticket in warm weather throughout the deer season, especially if you are hunting alone. Scent-conscious hunters will take it easy and avoid sweating. Group deer drives can also prove deadly, but you will work up a sweat, so be sure not to overdress.
I have to admit that our group has done well in warm weather. A few years ago on the northern zone rifle opener my cousin nearly stepped on a buck during a midafternoon drive on an extremely warm day. He didn't get a shot at the buck but it ran by one of the watchers, who dispatched the 156-pound 8-pointer. On another hunt, I had a buck driven by me on a warm day during the rut as we put on a large drive on a hill known to hold does. We dragged the buck out in our shirtsleeves and it was just days prior to Thanksgiving.
Two years ago, I was hunting out of my brother's camp in the northern Adirondacks in mid-November with temperatures in the low 60s. A few small drives were set up in some swampy areas that yielded my biggest buck yet: a 205-pound, 9-pointer that was also trailing a doe. The next day, another warm one, a late afternoon drive produced two more bucks. That was a good weekend in camp!
Early fall can prove toasty, but if you want to get your deer you've got to hunt whenever possible. Good luck!

DAN LADD, Adirondack Hunting & Fishing Report

No comments:

Post a Comment